OVER ALLEGED RS 10 MILLION CANADA JOB SCAM MAN NABBED

Man nabbed over alleged Rs. 10 million Canada job scam


– A man accused of defrauding more than Rs. 10 million by posing as a representative of a non-governmental organization (NGO) and promising employment opportunities in Canada has been arrested by special investigation officers of the Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment (SLBFE).

The suspect, a 28-year-old resident of the Kuchchaveli area, was allegedly targeting young men and women in the Eastern Province by offering jobs at supermarkets in Canada.The Bureau said that it had received seven complaints against the suspect, with victims claiming they had been cheated out of more than Rs. 4 million. However, investigators believe the total amount involved may exceed Rs. 10 million as more complaints continue to emerge.

Officials said several attempts had been made to apprehend the suspect, but he had evaded arrest and had been in hiding. He was eventually arrested on May 19 while hiding at his residence in the Kuchchaveli area during a joint operation carried out by officers of the Police Special Bureau and the Bureau’s Special Investigation Division.

Authorities also revealed that cases related to similar allegations against the suspect are currently pending before the Negombo, Batticaloa and Avissawella courts.The suspect was produced before the Trincomalee Magistrate’s Court on May 20, where the Magistrate ordered that he be remanded until May 26.The arrest was carried out under the supervision of Director of the Central Crime Investigation Division, Senior Superintendent of Police Kamal Ariyawansa, with the participation of officers including Officer-in-Charge of the Bureau’s Special Investigation Unit, Chief Inspector P.B. Ariyasinghe and Inspector T.B. De Alwis.

 



  Comments – 0


You May Also Like

Exit mobile version