Dishonouring Education at annual convocation
Last week we watched how a few graduates of a reputed Sri Lankan state university dishonoured the erudite Bhikku who holds the position of the Chancellor of the University by not accepting the degree certificate handed over to them by him during the annual Convocation.
This is significant because only a few uneducated students (0.65%) rejected their degree certificates from him while all the well-educated MBBS Degree holding graduates and the rest (99.35%) accepted their degree certificates from him without any difference or issue. Very strangely, the Vice-Chancellor stood by the 0.65% and not by the 99.35%. After this ugly incident, some including one of the former Presidents of Sri Lanka praised the uneducated persons without any talent other than slinging mud on anyone who did the act.
Single act of shame
If anyone thinks that this is only an isolated incident and nothing to talk about, they are unaware of the grave process hidden inside this single act of shame. Today we are talking about this grave situation that exists underneath this single incident. This act is only one episode of a chain of episodes of a long process that had taken place here in Sri Lanka since 1994.