Mahinda, Basil, Namal met Pillayan in Batticaloa prison after Easter attacks, ASG tells court

– The court hearing into the investigations related to the 2019 Easter Sunday bomb attacks was marked by explosive allegations before the Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court by the prosecution, including claims linking former political leaders, military intelligence officials and the alleged conspiracy surrounding the attacks.
Appearing before Fort Magistrate Pasan Amarasena, Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peeris alleged that after the Easter Sunday attacks, former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Basil Rajapaksa and Namal Rajapaksa had visited the Batticaloa Prison to meet former State Minister Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pillayan.Peeris told court that Pillayan had allegedly been informed during the meeting that he would be released within a week after Gotabaya Rajapaksa became President.
The Additional Solicitor General further alleged that the legal coordination relating to the matter had been handled by third suspect Suresh Sallay.Addressing court, Peeris claimed that Sallay, who had been brought back to Sri Lanka in 2019 and later appointed head of the State Intelligence Service (SIS), had exercised significant influence over the intelligence apparatus. He alleged that information regarding the attacks had been suppressed after Sallay was placed in charge of the country’s intelligence network.
Peeris told court that the complainant had identified Sallay as the “main mastermind” behind the alleged conspiracy and the principal individual who executed the “contract” connected to the Easter Sunday bomb attacks.The prosecution also stated that key witness Azad Maulana, who made revelations to Channel 4 regarding the attacks, had allegedly been detained in the same prison cell as Sallay at the Batticaloa Prison.
Court was informed that a team from the Criminal Investigation Department, including Senior Superintendent of Police Shani Abeysekara, had travelled to France and recorded a statement from Azad Maulana at the official residence of the Sri Lankan Ambassador to France.The ASG further alleged that Sallay and Pillayan had been involved in several political assassinations carried out to fulfill political objectives, adding that investigations were continuing into all connected political figures and that those responsible would eventually be produced before court.
The Additional Solicitor General said witness Azad Maulana was prepared to return to Sri Lanka and testify, provided adequate protection was granted to him and his family.During submissions, the ASG objected to requests made on behalf of third suspect Sallay, including claims that the investigation lacked independence and transparency. He also responded to defense submissions relating to SSP Shani Abeysekara’s role in the investigations.President’s Counsel appearing for Sallay clarified that the defense had not sought Abeysekara’s removal from the investigation entirely, but had only requested that he be transferred from supervisory duties.
The Magistrate inquired from both the prosecution and defense whether there was any objection to the present Magistrate continuing to hear the matter, to which both sides responded in the negative.The prosecution subsequently filed a lengthy 14-page further report detailing the progress of investigations.The ASG informed court that the present investigation had stemmed from complaints lodged on October 11, 2024 by Reverend Cyril Gamini Fernando and Reverend Vernon Silva following statements made by Azad Maulana to Channel 4 in September 2023.Court was told that Azad Maulana had provided investigators with extensive details regarding the alleged involvement of former military intelligence chief and later SIS Director Suresh Sallay in the Easter Sunday attacks.
The ASG stated that according to Maulana’s statement, extremist leader Zahran Hashim and members of his group had maintained links with Pillayan and Sallay while detained in prison.The prosecution further alleged that Sallay had arranged legal assistance and bail for certain extremist suspects using military intelligence funds and had financially supported members of the suicide bombing network until the attacks were carried out.The ASG also referred to an alleged telephone call received by Azad Maulana on April 21, 2019 from Sallay instructing him to pick up a man carrying a bag near the Taj Samudra Hotel in Colombo and transport him elsewhere. According to the prosecution, the individual was later identified as Jameel, who eventually detonated explosives at the Tropical Inn in Dehiwala after failing to carry out an attack at the hotel.
The Additional Solicitor General alleged that the attacks had been politically motivated and intended to influence the 2019 Presidential Election.
He further claimed that members of the military intelligence and the TMVP group had been maintained using State funds and had operated as a political assassination network rather than for national security purposes.The ASG also referred to alleged links between the group and several high-profile killings, including those of journalist Lasantha Wickrematunge, journalist Prageeth Eknaligoda, TamilNet editor Dharmeratnam Sivaram, Parliamentarian Nadarajah Raviraj and others.He maintained that the investigations would continue to determine on whose behalf the alleged conspiracy had been carried out.Appearing for the first suspect, Attorney-at-Law Swasthika Aravindan submitted that no evidence had been uncovered against her client under the Prevention of Terrorism Act despite him being held in remand custody for eight months, and requested that he be released.
The first and second suspects were produced before court via Zoom.
Senior State Counsel and SSP Shani Abeysekara appeared for the prosecution, while President’s Counsel Shavindra Fernando, Attorney-at-Law Asith Sirwardena and other counsel appeared for third suspect Suresh Sallay. Separate legal teams appeared for the other suspects and for the Cardinal.At the conclusion of proceedings, Magistrate Pasan Amarasekara ordered that the prosecution’s request not to produce the third suspect in open court, and for meetings between the suspect and lawyers to take place under CID supervision, along with the defense requests, be postponed for consideration till July 1.
Comments – 0
Recommended
You May Also Like
Trending

0










